Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Transmissions from El Table

Every week two older guys who work for WC maintenance come into El Table and order the same thing.

One of them is tall with glasses, usually wearing a baseball hat.
Glasses: A large tea with a little cold water at the top, and these two cookies, please.

The other is shorter with a crooked smile.
Crooked Smile: A large coffee, please.

Me: Um, that will be...(attempts to hide finger-counting)...wow, I'm really um...sleepy today. (Gets out calculator). $3.35.

Glasses: (Looking at me carefully) I think that's $3.65.
Me: Ah, ha! Ha! Ha-yes.
Crooked Smile: (from the refrigerator) I'm trying to get the honey out! You think I can get the honey out?
Glasses: Lemme see.
Crooked Smile: Its pooled on the side of the head. (Holds up honey bear sideways).
Me: Here, I'll get you some more honey.
Glasses: Thank you.

I squeeze new honey into the honey bear and hand it to Crooked Smile. He hands it to Glasses. Glasses pours it into his tea.

Glasses: How's Oregon?
Me: Good.

Both: Alright, see you next week.
Me: Bye!!!

The exact same thing. Every time.

No comments: